Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The "Dog Crap" Opener:

I came up with the idea & worked up a script in my head.  I wanted to prove to myself that guys put waaaaaay too much focus on the "opener" & that what REALLY matters, is your follow-up.

It was supposed to go like this:
WOW! You must be the luckiest woman in town today! Because you ALMOST stepped in a pile of dog crap back there!!" 

Then before she can even reply I'll say, "Oh wait... my bad. It was just a leaf. But from here it looked a lot more grotesque.." (That was the plan anyway...)

The Attempt: (Her: About 5'5", thin, brunette with shorter hair & a couple visible tats. Looked like an aspiring model/hipster type in her mid-late 20's - So I thought she would have a sense of humor & not take offense if this bombs. I'd rate her an 8 - 8.5) 

The whole conversation was about 2-3 minutes)

As I approached & started to speak, I had a quick flash of anxiety & thought to myself, "Am I really doing this?? Well, too late to stop now, because here come the words..."

**the conversation isn't exactly word for word, & I don't remember everything.. but the context & overall flow went like this**


So there I was, about to test my theory.  But.... I couldn't remember exactly what I planned on saying!
 (My mind sort of blanked out & I only remembered that it had something to do with "crap" & "being lucky".) So I basically just bumbled my way through it, half laughing at the same time.

I blurt out- "You're pretty lucky.. you stepped right over that pile of crap back there" (again, I'm sort of giggling as I'm saying it) She looked puzzled & confused for a second & then looked back to where I was pointing. 

That's when my memory returned!! And I realized my next line was supposed to be "Oh, my bad, it was just a leaf. But from here it looked a lot more grotesque."

However; there was no leaf.... In fact, there was nothing but a flat, completely debris-free section of sidewalk.

Now, the full blown wave of laughter sets in with me... (which thankfully, laughter is contagious!!) and SHE starts laughing because I am.

So at this point I say to myself, "aaahhhh fuck it! Just wing it from here genius!!..."

I said, "Ok, here's the deal... I really just wanted to stop you because you caught my eye. I'm Mark."

Her: (laughing) "Hi, I'm Kate."

Me: "Hello Kate, It's very nice to meet you, & lucky for you, you did NOT step in a pile of dog crap today. I hope your lucky streak continues." 

Her: (still laughing) "Oh me too!"

Me: Ok, as long as I'm harassing you at the moment & you're being a good sport about it, you wouldn't happen to do any modeling do you? Because, you have that sort of model-ish look about you.."

Her:"Actually yes... but just part time. nothing serious though. Mainly just local stuff & just to update my portfolio."

Me:"Very cool! It's good to have ambition & do things you enjoy. You seem to have a great sense of humor too. I mean, you're laughing & smiling even after I made up some (air quotes) crappy story.."(laughing harder now)

Her: "HAAAHAAHAHAHAA!!!"

Me:"Well, I better let you be on your way... Besides, I actually have more responsible things to do than harass people. haha! But lets swap numbers really quick. I'd love to find out if you make it through the rest of the day with clean shoes." (wink)

Her: "Yeah! I'll let you know how I do! hahaha!"

**Exchange Digits**

Me: Awesome, it was a pleasure to meet you. Have a fabulous rest of the day."

**Insert friendly hug**

Her:"Thanks, & you too.. see ya later."


So, I start walking back to my car, shaking my head in partial disbelief & laughing.... I say to myself, "How in the world???.... "

Once I realized I messed up my "script" & started laughing, I just felt more relaxed. Especially when SHE started laughing too. 

So, everything from that point on was just genuine, natural personality coming through. I didn't even think about Body language or what to say next. I was simply "IN STATE".

I definitely want to try this one again, and see if I can keep more composure, just to see if that changes the reactions/results.

But... it did show me that sometimes, we make too big a deal about the "opener” itself, when what matters more is, what you do AFTERWARDS. 

Anyway,
 Later that evening, I get a text around 6:00. (Guess who it was from??) Yep, Kate. 
(Here's our exchange)

She said: "Hi Mark it's Kate. I made it the whole day without getting my shoes dirty. LOL"

ME: "Heya! Should I really believe that? Or are you just trying to impress me? ;o)"

Her: "Lol really! I'll send u a pic if I have to."

ME: "No no... I believe you. But if it makes YOU feel better, then by all means do! haha!"

Her: "Haha! This has been the funniest day of my life"

Me: "That could be taken in several ways, so I may or may not be frightened"

Her: "It's totally good!! Promise!!"

Me: "So, you LIKED the fake dog crap story??" 

Her: "OMG!! Stop making me laugh!! It wasn't so much the story but more you laughing and being so different."

Me: "Fair enough. I'll accept that. :o) So... send the picture already... seeing as you offered."

Her: "I could do that. But maybe you should check it for yourself"

Me: "Kate... Are you trying to ask me out/invite me to meet you this evening?"

Her: "maybe"

ME: "Ohh... Fine! I'll ask YOU!! Hey Kate, Meet me for a drink & bring "the shoes" ;o).

Her: :o)  LOLOL! You got it. Where should we meet?

Me: "Well, I'm gonna be at the Wildhorse around 9:04PM"

Her: "LOL! OK but why 9:04?"

Me: "Because 9:00 is too early for me. (long story, tell u some other time) :o)~"

Her: "OMG! haha ok 9:04 it is!!


Fast forward.....
We meet at the Wildhorse. (Her shoes WERE in fact clean!) LOL!

Anyway, we hung out for a bit.... and then...
I won't divulge details because, I'm considerate like that... (and that is the ONLY reason!) haha! 

*I should also note that Kate was specifically curious about my comment "You caught my eye".
That seemed to be complimentary, but sparked enough curiosity & mysteriousness to cause attraction. 
  I never DID say "I thought you were cute / pretty / beautiful/ gorgeous"... etc. But...It was just enough to trigger an emotional response.  (And combined with the initial shock of the "crap" opener & the laughter, she was hooked!)

So, It's not what you SAY in your opener that really matters... it's HOW you execute it & what you follow it up with.

-Be Unique!!




No comments:

Post a Comment